Tampa Bay Times
May 2015 – Present
I write about tourism and retail news for the business section of the Tampa Bay Times. My beat was expanded to include the Tampa International Airport, Port Tampa Bay and local entrepreneur Jeff Vinik. I assist with website management for the business page and help manage the business section’s social media channels. I assist with planning on enterprise projects for the business staff and am developing a business news podcast for the section.
Heels Down Media
July 2016 – Present
Heels Down Media is an international equestrian publishing and marketing company. I write and edit stories for the company’s three media platforms: Heels Down Magazine, a digital monthly equestrian sport magazine for young adults, Horse Junkies United, a daily web blog that shares amateur horse owner and rider content, and Stable & Spice, a fitness and health blog for equestrians. I’m a host for a twice-monthly podcast called Heels Down Happy Hour. I also edit The Rollback, a weekly e-newsletter that shares equestrian-related news and current events. I assist with social media and website management functions, contest marketing and editorial planning.
Assistant Projects Editor
May 2014 – May 2015
I serve as a manager on special projects and help keep reporters and editors on track with team goals. I set strategies to reach larger audiences through social media and establish partnerships with other publications and affiliates. I also lead the Herald-Tribune innovation team and assist with best practice sessions of social media and digital tools in our newsroom.
I am the editor-in-chief of a new start-up publication geared toward young professionals in the Southwest Florida community, called unravel. I lead the coverage by assigning and editing connect and contributing personally. I, along with an executive team of four in our newsroom, led the design and construction of the site. The digital publication launched in Feb. 2015.
September 2012 – May 2015
I break news and write consistent enterprise stories on the tourism and retail beats for the Herald-Tribune, a Halifax Media Group-owned company in Southwest Fla. I shoot and edit my own videos and photos to supplement my stories, and push articles through social media.
I interned for the Sarasota Herald-Tribune during the summer of 2009. My work was published in a variety of sections, mostly covering cops and courts in Manatee County. I had more than 60 clips published that summer.
Published “The Cost of Life” on May 25, 2014.
Managed social media and engagement for “Home to Havana,” published July 8, 2014.
Managed social media and engagement for “Andre Bryant Investigation,” which published Sept. 22, 2014.
South Florida Sun Sentinel
July 2011 – September 2012 (1 year 3 months)
I broke news and wrote original enterprise articles about retail and the yachting industry for the business section of the of the Sun Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. As a multimedia reporter, I created videos relevant to the business section and shared stories through social media.
Late night menu options growing in South Florida, Aug. 4, 2012
Craft beer bars aim to slake South Florida’s thirst, Sept. 2, 2011
St. Augustine Record
May 2010 – June 2011 (1 year 2 months)
I covered the crime beat for this daily community newspaper in Northeast Florida. Aside from writing breaking news, I also wrote local enterprise stories for the daily print product, shot and edited video to supplement stories and assisted in maintaining the website and social media sites.
The Seductive Killer Drifter original piece for The Daily Beast.
The Stranger segment for NBC Dateline.
Orlando Business Journal
Business Reporter (Part time)
February 2010 – May 2010 (4 months)
I covered the banking, finance and law beats part-time during my last semester of college. I wrote daily stories three times a week, contributing to the online and print editions. I interned at OBJ from August to December in 2008, where I wrote business profiles, news and feature stories for the weekly journal, web and other inlet publications. I also covered my own “anatomy of a deal” beat.
Central Florida Future
August 2009 – May 2010 (10 months)
I served as one of two news editors that edited and assigned stories for the news section of the twice-weekly edition of the UCF student paper. I came up with story ideas, pitched them to writers, worked with writers on drafts, edited stories, copy edited and helped layout stories for print.
January 2009 – May 2009 (5 months)
As an intern, I wrote feature stories for the web and print, helped copy edit and assisted in managing the website for Wakeboarding Magazine and WaterSki Magazine. I worked regularly with programs like InDesign, wrote HTML/CSS code, web content management systems, Dreamweaver and Final Cut Pro.
May 2008 – August 2008 (4 months)
I copy edited stories, assisted with print layout in InDesign and wrote stories for two community weekly papers: the Winter Park Maitland Observer and the Oviedo-Winter Springs Voice.
University of Central Florida, Orlando, Fla.
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Humanities minor
Graduation Date: May 7, 2010
- Finalist, Innovator of the Year Award, APME 2015
- First Place, Innovative Product of the Year 2015, by Gatehouse Media for Unravel.us
- News Writer of the Year 2014, by Gatehouse Media for The Cost of Life, for division A, by Gatehouse Media Awards, parent company of the Herald-Tribune
- First Place, general feature category, 2014 Excellence-in-Features Awards, division one, by the Society of Features Journalism
- First Place, Multimedia category, 2015 Florida Society of News Editors Journalism Contest
- Second Place, (small) consumer feature category, 2014 Awards for Excellence in Health Care Journalism by the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- Second Place, Multimedia Reporter of the Year 2014, by Gatehouse Media Awards, for The Cost of Life
- Third Place, Projects Category Gatehouse Media’s 2014 awards
- Third Place, Beat Reporting – Consumer Issues category, 2015 SPJ Sunshine State Awards
- Third Place, Online Package category, 2015 SPJ Sunshine State Awards
- Finalist, 2014 EPPY for the “Best Innovation Project for a Website”
- Outstanding Journalism Graduate – Nicholson School of Communication, May 2010
Journalism & Women’s Symposium Vice President, Oct. 2015 to present
- Responsible for planning the Conference & Mentoring Project programming for 2016
Journalism & Women’s Symposium board of directors, communications co-chair, Oct. 2014 to present
Journalism & Women’s Symposium member, July 2013 to present
- Led social media and tech (Google Drive, Facebook, Basecamp Twitter) break out sessions at CAMP 2013
- Assisted in reviewing and selecting the JAWS 2104 Diversity Mentoring Fellow by reading and ranking incoming applications
- Nominated to board of directors position in Oct. 2014
Sarasota Young Professionals Group At-Large Chair, Jan. 2014 to May 2015
- Member since Jan. 2014. Chair term Oct. 2014 – May 2015
- A part of the leadership team behind the 2015 State of Jobs conference
- Tampa Bay Times’ What’s in Store retail columnist, May 2015- present
- Herald-Tribune’s What’s in Store retail blogger, Jan. 2013- May 2015
- Unravel editor-in-chief, Feb. 2014 – May 2015
- Innovation Team Leader, Herald-Tribune, Sept. 2013 – May 2015
- Sun Sentinel’s Shop-O-Matic retail blogger, Sept. 2011- Sept. 2012
- Horse Junkies United – Guest Blogger, Aug. 2011 – present
- Ed2010 Magazine Club, President, Aug. 2009- May 2010
- Knight Living Magazine, Content Editor, Jan. 2010 – May 2010